Section 'Sub' Navigation:
- History and Mission Statement
- Fast Facts
- Meet the Faculty
- See the Campus
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Map & Directions
- Employment Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Monastic Community
- Bridge Program
- 2015-16 School Profile
- Rest in Peace
- Mountain Camp Woodside
History & Mission Statement
Woodside Priory School was founded in 1957 by a group of seven Hungarian Benedictine monks from Saint Martin’s Archabbey in Pannonhalma, Hungary. Since 1974, the monks have been affiliated with Saint Anselm Abbey in Manchester, New Hampshire. The school began as an 18 acre ranch and over the years has expanded significantly with the campus now encompassing 51 acres. Originally, Priory was an all-boys boarding school, but over the years the ratio of boarders to day students has changed to the point where today the boarding school accounts for approximately 20% of the Upper School. In the early 1990’s, the School began admitting girls to the day program with the first co-ed class graduating in 1995. In 2004, Priory expanded its boarding program to include girls.
The Priory is governed by the following mission statement:
Woodside Priory School is a Benedictine Catholic, independent college preparatory school. Our mission is to assist students in becoming lifelong learners and stewards who will productively serve a world in need of their gifts.
We believe in these Benedictine values:
God works in us, through us, and for us.
All are welcomed with honor and respect.
Learning flourishes in an environment of honesty, trust, and personal responsibility.
Every student has gifts to be discovered, nurtured, and treasured.
Together we find strength and purpose in supporting one another.
We believe these values are made real in a community in which every student is known and loved.
The Benedictine Fathers of the Priory, Inc. DBA Woodside Priory School, is a non-profit organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and was incorporated in 1957. It is governed by two Boards - a Board of Directors consisting of five Benedictine Monks (appointed and elected from the Saint Anselm and Priory Benedictine communities) who hold all the major reserved powers, and a Board of Trustees which has limited jurisdiction. Trustee members are approved by the Directors and both Boards meet formally together each January. All major and significant decisions pertaining to The Priory must have final approval from the Board of Directors.